Sunday, February 6, 2011

Found Squirrels: Toilet Casket Squirrels

I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday. It's a good way to keep myself entertained for a few hours for a very small amount of money. As usual, I managed to find whole sections of the Met I had never seen before. We've lived in New York City four years now (?) and I've been to the Met many times and yet somehow I still turn corners and find new parts of the permanent collection I have never seen.

Finding squirrels at the Met remains a challenge, but yesterday I found this prize.

These squirrels were at an exhibit on boxes, and I'm lucky I looked closely enough to find them. Can you see them? The casket is French, from approximately 1700. It is made of "wood veneered with marquetry of tortoiseshell and brass, rosewood; gilt bronze, and steel."

No comments:

Post a Comment