Sunday, August 14, 2011

Weird Shit I Found In My Childhood Room: Blast From The Past Edition

My little sister is just about 18 months younger than me, which means that for most of our childhoods we were close enough in age to have the same interests and desires at any given time. This changed when we became teenagers and her interests leaned more toward Destiny's Child and my interests leaned more toward getting drunk in the orchard.

But as children, at least, we were on the same page. As a result, when any normal child would have x number of a certain toy, we would have at least 2x of that toy.

Who remembers Littlest Pet Shop?

I sure remember them. You know why? Because I have at least 65 Littlest Pet Shop sets in my childhood room at home, that's why. I wish I had gotten a shot of the whole thing, but I wasn't really thinking and just wanted to capture the the general chaos that is the Littlest Pet Shop shelf in my room.

And yes, that's a flutter pony butt on the bottom right of the picture. You may ask me what a flutter pony is, but I will only reply sadly that if you don't know, then you totally missed out on the best movie that 1986 had to offer.

Note that this picture is not from my childhood bedroom. This picture was taken just now on my kitchen floor. Yes, I own this on DVD. Yes, I keep it with me at all times. Yes, I can still sing the "Nothing Can Stop the Smooze" song.

If there was one toy we had too many of as children, it has to have been My Little Ponies. My sister and I loved these things to death, and I would guess that far and away they were the most played with toy in our house from about 1988-1994.

I only took this one picture, but I think it begins to capture the chaos of the My Little Pony shelf (with overflow seating for precious flutter ponies on the Littlest Pet Shop shelf above). There are two rows of ponies here, adults in the back, kids in the front. I am particularly fond of this picture because it showcases the random horse toy thrown in haphazardly with beloved ponies, and also the poor Barbie whose hair we chopped off in the summer of 1995 with Jewel's first album playing in the background.

I wish I had a picture of the whole set up, pets on top, ponies on bottom, but I don't. My task when I was home a few weeks ago was to clean out my room and get rid of a lot of stuff, but I couldn't bring myself to part with these beloved toys. They're all packed up now in a big plastic bin under my bed with only the Polly Pockets and my dollhouse for company.

Damn, I forgot to take a picture of our twenty Polly Pockets!

And Mom, whatever happened to our 25 Quints? (Five times the fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment