Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Casey's Reads: Scaredy Squirrel

Now that I'm living with my in-laws, I spend about 80% of my waking hours around kids. I have learned many things about children in the past few months, and one of the major things I have learned is this: If you are going somewhere, or thinking about going somewhere, or trying to sneak out the door to go somewhere without the kids, they will always want to go with you.

So I went to the library the other day to pick up some books for my upcoming trip to visit A and her husband J (so excited!) and ended up spending most of my time in the children's section of the library instead of the sci-fi section like I had planned. It all ended up being for the best, though, because I discovered this fantastic series of children's books about a squirrel named Scaredy Squirrel.


I obviously love books about squirrels, so I was thrilled to find this in the children's section. I checked it out, of course, and B tried his hardest not to roll his eyes.

Well it turns out this book is even better than I thought, because not only is it about a squirrel, it's about a squirrel with some sort of anxiety disorder. So yeah, it's pretty much about me.

Note on the very first page it talks about why Scaredy Squirrel never goes to the beach. He hates crowds!

It's like the story of my life. Scaredy Squirrel apparently has a little OCD too, because later in the book he is forced to take a trip to the beach and, for some reason, he needs to bring his passport. He draws up an itinerary for his journey, and lists where his passport should be at every moment. And he obsessively checks for it.

I totally obsessively check for my passport too! And my wallet, and my keys, and my camera, et cetera! It's really terrible!
Anyway, it's a really awesome book and made me feel good about being a scaredy squirrel myself. Hopfully posting these pictures isn't a copyright violation or anything, but I wanted to show just why I was so impressed with the series. Also, I didn't post the last few pages of the book so now you guys have to go out and get it yourselves to find out what happens during Scaredy Squirrel's visit to the beach! I know I'll be requesting the rest of the series from the library when I get home from Florida next week!

1 comment: