Sunday, February 12, 2012

Found Squirrels: Squirrel Mummy

Guys, I'm so behind in my squirrel blogging!  I'm sitting here enjoying the sweet sounds of Britney Spears (she's back; did you know?) and combing through my photos from the last few months and becoming completely overwhelmed by the number of posts I need to write.  How did I let this happen?  I blame the three week period in January when I tried to give up coffee.  

Way back in December we went to the American Museum of Natural History with a friend who was visiting from out of town.  I always enjoy this museum, particularly the room that addresses the evolution of mammals.


That's some squirrel taxonomy and evolution for y'all.  Check out the sweet capybara up there.

And they had a mummified squirrel!  Poor little guy looks so uncomfortable.  But I was so pleased to see him in the museum.  Everyone is always going on and on about the freeze-dried woolly mammoths that scientists are finding all over the place.  What about the squirrels? What about the giant prehistoric beaver?  Why isn't anyone else excited about bringing back the rodents of yesteryear?

No comments:

Post a Comment