Thursday, June 11, 2009

Suburban Life: Mailboxes

So I'm going to try to do a series of posts contrasting suburban life with our usual New York City life. I've already done a couple posts along these lines, and that does seem to be the theme of the summer. I'll be heading back to my rural hometown in a few weeks so in theory I will be able to compare the joys of urban, suburban, and rural life in this blog over the next few months. It will probably only be interesting to me and my mother, but that's okay.

Today's post is about mailboxes, in particular, mailboxes which take outgoing mail.

Oh outgoing mail... how you torment me in New York City. You see, in our apartment building we had a little mailbox for incoming mail, but we absolutely could not place outgoing mail in that box. Outgoing mail had to go in the blue postboxes, of which there are approximately three in all of Manhattan. Okay, that's a lie, but seriously, sometimes you could walk half a mile and not see a postbox and that was very frustrating.

I am thrilled at how easy it is to mail things in the suburbs. Just ten minutes ago I found a Netflix movie that needed to be mailed. I sealed it up, walked out the door and about twenty feet down the driveway, placed it in the box, put up the little flag, and walked back inside. I didn't even have to put on shoes! And, best of all, no homeless people asked me for money during this entire procedure!

No comments:

Post a Comment